Feature Residency Eligibility
IMPORTANT: Please note, applicants can apply through either WIF or The Black List, however, instructions are different for each platform. WIF members can apply for membership rates and non-members can apply for $40 per application. Through WIF, applicants can submit up to three scripts. Each script must be submitted through its own application, so fees and/or waivers are applicable per script. For Black List instructions, please click here. To be eligible to apply through WIF:
- You are the sole and exclusive author of the feature screenplay submitted for consideration.
- You have not received more than $100K in aggregate to date as compensation for film or television writing work.
- You will be available for the weekend in-person May 18–22, 2023 and then scheduled sessions between June 2023–May 2024.
- Participants must be able to provide proof of current vaccination, subject to CDC guidelines relating to boosters, and willing to test for COVID-19 infection prior to May 18, 2023.
October 3, 2022 – Applications open
October 7, 2022 – Program AMA (“Ask Me Anything”) panel
November 7, 2022 – Applications close
Week of March 13, 2023 – Short List writers notified
Week of April 3, 2023 – Finalist interviews
By April 7, 2023 – Participants notified
May 18, 2023 – Residency begins
For the kick-off weekend, ground transport to and from all Residency events, and accommodations (room and tax only)* will be provided by the Black List and WIF. Meals will also be provided. The kick-off weekend of the Residency is a residential program.
* If you are accepted into the Residency, you will be required to board in the provided accommodations for the duration of the kick-off weekend.
Accommodation will not be provided for Residency events outside of the kick-off weekend. If you are applying to the Residency and do not live in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, you will need to cover your own travel for the kick-off weekend and travel and accommodation expenses for any additional events.
- How are participants selected?
WIF and Black List select semifinalists from the initial applicant pool through separate jury processes. WIF’s preliminary jury includes agents, managers, writers, associates, executives, and WIF staff, and each script is guaranteed at least three reads of at least its first 15 pages. Strong scripts will be read in entirety in order to determine if they advance to the semi-finalist round. Finalists are selected by Black List and WIF Residency managers and may be asked to progress to the interview round. The participants are selected based on interviews, scripts, and ancillary materials.
- How many scripts can I submit?
Through WIF, applicants can submit up to three scripts. Each script must be submitted through its own application, so fees and/or waivers are applicable per script.
- Can I apply through both WIF and Black List?
Yes, you can apply through both, however as noted above, there are separate preliminary processes for the two organizations. If you are applying through The Black List, be sure to read their instructions and FAQs.
- Do I have to be a member to apply through WIF?
You no longer need to be a WIF member to apply to this program. WIF members can apply at member rates and non-members can apply for $40 per application. Applications are open to the public through our store (link coming soon; please be sure to read all other eligibility requirements prior to purchasing your application). For program-specific member benefits, please visit our membership page HERE.
- I have a writing partner who is also a woman, NB/GNC, and/or trans, or another underrepresented gender. Can we both apply?
Yes, you can both apply, either through separate applications or jointly. However each script will only receive three reads in the preliminary round, even if submitted twice, so a joint application is recommended. If the script is selected, you can both participate in the Residency.
- When does the application close, and will tech support be available?
The application closes on November 7, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. PST, with technical support available until 6:00 p.m. PST. The application will not be reopened after the deadline, so please reach out to email@example.com for any technical questions before 6:00 p.m. PST on November 7, 2022. All technical issues between 6:00 p.m. and 11:59 p.m. PST will be the responsibility of the applicant, and will not warrant reopening of the application.
- I have a writing partner who is a cis man. Can I still apply?
Yes, you are still eligible to apply. In our effort to create equitable spaces in a currently male-dominated industry, should you be accepted into the program your partner would not be able to participate in the sessions directly. However, you would be able to share appropriate script feedback with them.
- Will this program be conducted remotely or in-person?
We anticipate holding the Residency in-person in Los Angeles in 2023, however will adjust for the safety and health of participants, advisors, and staff as needed.
- What is the WIF Fellowship?
For 2023, all program participants will also be considered WIF Fellows. To explore the WIF Fellowships, please see the Fellowships page on our website.
- What is on the application?
You can find a PDF version of the application HERE.