IMPORTANT: Please note, applicants can apply through either WIF or The Black List, however, instructions are different for each platform. WIF members can apply for membership rates and non-members can apply for $40 per application. Through WIF, applicants can submit up to three scripts. Each script must be submitted through its own application, so fees and/or waivers are applicable per script. For Black List instructions or any other Black List questions, please click here. To be eligible to apply through WIF:
- You are the sole and exclusive author of the television pilot submitted for consideration.
- You have not received more than $25K in aggregate to date as compensation for television writing work.
- You will be available for evening sessions during the month of March 2023.
- Participants must be able to provide proof of current vaccination, subject to CDC guidelines relating to boosters prior to February 15, 2023, and be willing to test for COVID-19 infection prior to each session in March 2023.
October 3, 2022 – Applications open
October 7, 2022 – Program AMA (“Ask Me Anything”) panel
November 7, 2022 – Applications close
Week of January 9, 2023 – Short list applicants notified
Week of January 30, 2023 – Finalist interviews
Week of February 6, 2023 – Participants notified
- How are participants selected?
WIF and The Black List select semifinalists from the initial applicant pool through separate jury processes. WIF’s preliminary jury includes agents, managers, writers, associates, executives, and WIF staff, and each script is guaranteed at least three reads of at least its first 15 pages. Strong scripts will be read in their entirety in order to determine if they advance to the semi-finalist round. Finalists are selected by The Black List and WIF Lab managers and may be asked to progress to the interview round. The participants are selected based on interviews, scripts, and ancillary materials.
- How many scripts can I submit?
Through WIF, applicants can submit up to three scripts. Each script must be submitted through its own application, so fees and/or waivers are applicable per script.
- Can I apply through both WIF and The Black List?
Yes, you can apply through both, however as noted above, there are separate preliminary processes for the two organizations. If you are applying through The Black List, be sure to read their instructions and FAQs or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any additional questions about their process.
- Do I have to be a member to apply through WIF?
You no longer need to be a WIF member to apply to this program. WIF members can apply at member rates and non-members can apply for $40 per application. Applications are open to the public through our store (link coming soon; please be sure to read all other eligibility requirements prior to purchasing your application). For program-specific member benefits, please visit our membership page.
- I have a writing partner who is also a woman, NB/GNC, and/or trans, or another underrepresented gender. Can we both apply?
Yes, you can both apply, either through separate applications or jointly. However, each script will only receive three reads in the preliminary round, even if submitted twice, so a joint application is recommended. If the script is selected, you can both participate in the Lab.
- I have a writing partner who is a cis man. Can I still apply?
Yes, you are still eligible to apply. In our effort to create equitable spaces in a currently male-dominated industry, should you be accepted into the program your partner would not be able to participate in the sessions directly. However, you would be able to share appropriate script feedback with him.
- What is the time commitment of the Lab?
Meetings are approximately two hours in length, twice a week—generally Tuesdays and Thursdays—in the evenings (PT) for the full month of March 2023. Additional sessions may be scheduled as well.
- Will this program be conducted remotely or in-person?
Sessions are anticipated to take place in person in Los Angeles, however plans will be adjusted to address COVID-19 safety concerns as needed. Writers outside of Los Angeles are eligible to apply, though travel and lodging are not provided and we cannot guarantee virtual attendance as an option.
- When does the application close, and will tech support be available?
The application closes on November 7, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. PST, with technical support available until 6:00 p.m. PST. The application will not be reopened after the deadline, so please reach out to email@example.com for any technical questions before 6:00 p.m. PST on November 7, 2022. All technical issues between 6:00 p.m. and 11:59 p.m. PST will be the responsibility of the applicant, and will not warrant reopening of the application.
- What is the WIF Fellowship?
For 2023, all WIF participants will also be considered WIF Fellows. To explore the WIF Fellowships, please see the Fellowships page on our website.
- What is on the application?
You can find a PDF version of the application HERE.