Going to Comic Con? Don’t miss these panels focusing on women’s creative work and gender equality in entertainment!
There have been positive developments in the last year for women in television and film. Initiatives like the 4% challenge are making news, movies and TV identified as gender-balanced are getting ReFrame stamps, and companies like OWN, Annapurna, Netflix, and Sundance continue to expand opportunities for intersectional women, supporting great content in the process. Changes are happening, but are they happening fast enough, and how can industry insiders and fans help the forward momentum? Come see the inspired, talented powerhouse panelists of Women Rocking Hollywood 2019 share their perspective and talk about their exciting new projects.
Scheduled to appear:
- Alison Emilio (director: ReFrame, advisory board: Horizon Award)
- Liesl Tommy (director, Respect, The Walking Dead)
- Gloria Calderon Kellett (executive story editor/producer, How I Met Your Mother; co-creator/writer/director, One Day at a Time)
- Catherine Hardwicke (director, Twilight, Don’t Look Deeper)
- Cheryl Dunye (producing director, Queen Sugar; director, David Makes Man)
- Jen McGowan (director, Rust Creek; founder, Glass Elevator)
- Angela Robinson (producer/writer/director: True Blood, director: Professor Marston and the Wonder Women)
- C Fitz (director, Jewel’s Catch One, Queen Sugar).
Moderated by Leslie Combemale (creator: WomenRockingHollywood, journalist: Cinema Siren website).
From the production companies that brought you Transformers, Deadpool, LEGO movies, The Walking Dead, Lumberjanes, and Mission Impossible, women executives discuss how they are pushing for female representation in Hollywood while adapting comics and games to the big screen. Moderator Tiffany Smith (DC All Access) is joined by panelists:
- Jeannette Francis (Bad Robot)
- Mette Norkjaer (BOOM! Studios)
- Nikki Baida (Genre Films)
- Grey Cusack (Hasbro/Allspark Pictures)
- Aubrey Lee (Lord Miller)
- Sam Crawley (Skybound Entertainment)