We have open Key Team roles to fill for the 2018 selected projects!
See immediately below for additional info and to apply
(submissions close Friday, August 17)
2018 Session Open Key Team Roles
The projects for the 2018 Session have been selected and are looking for additional members to round out the Key Teams for the projects. Project #1 is looking for a Line Producer to join the Writer/Director and Producer participants. Project #2 is looking for a Producer and a Line Producer to join the Writer/Director participant. Once selected, the new Key Team Members will join the projects as official participants in the lab and will be teamed up with a Mentor. Both projects are short narrative films and finalists will receive information on the projects and already selected Key Team Members to prepare themselves for the interview process. These roles are only open to current Women In Film Members at CAREER Level Membership or above. If interested, please click HERE to submit your application.
Those members interested in Department Head/Designer/Crew/Additional Below-The-Line Positions, including Acting Roles should look for additional information in our newsletter, job board, and on this page closer to September, 2018.
The Women In Film Production Program is a multi-faceted program with opportunities for emerging women on the creative side and in below-the-line positions. Formerly the Women In Film PSA Program, the Production Program is open to all WIF Members who are career level and above and seeks to catalyze careers through production training and support.
The core of the Program is open to Writers, Directors, and Producers to submit their short form projects. If chosen for the program, these members will be teamed up with Mentors who will walk them through the process of developing & producing their material with the financial and physical production support of Women In Film. Projects accepted for consideration are micro short films, web series pilots, PSAs, and proof of concepts. All members of the Key Team (Writer, Director, Producer, and Line Producer) must be Women In Film Members once entered into the program, but only one of these team members must be a Women In Film member at time of submission. The productions will be crewed by industry professionals and supported by emerging Women In Film members in below-the-line disciplines.
2018 Session Dates
Project Applications closed: Monday, July 23, 2018
Open Key Team Roles Applications open: Tuesday, August 7, 2018
Open Key Team Roles Applications close: Friday, August 17, 2018
Program begins: late August 2018
Program shoots: October 2018
Program ends: early December 2018
2019 Spring Session Dates
Applications open: October, 2018 (date forthcoming)
Application close: December, 2018 (date forthcoming)
Participants notified: January 2019 (date forthcoming)
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I qualify?
So long as someone on your Key Creative Team (Writer, Director, Producer) is a current Member of WIF, and you have one of the project types we list in the guidelines, you would qualify. The only thing to consider for full shorts is that the budget would be between $10,000 and $25,000, some of which would be in-kind. So you would need to feel confident you could make the short for that amount. Please note that, if accepted, all Key Team Members must become/upgrade to a WIF Career level Membership.
How many projects will you accept?
For 2018 we will be accepting 2 projects into the Lab. In 2019 and on we will most likely accept 4 projects each year.
When will the productions shoot?
In October of 2018.
What is the process?
Once a project is accepted the Key Team who submitted will fill the remaining Key Team roles with WIF Members or industry collegues they wish to work with. Please remember that anyone who joins the Key Team (Writer, Director, Producer, Line Producer) must be/become a Women In Film Career Level Member. We will then team the 4 Key Team Members up with their individual Mentors who will support and guide them through the process of Pre-Production, Production, and Post Production. With Women In Film’s support, sponsors, and base- the Key Team will hire Department Heads & Crew, hold Casting Calls for all roles, secure Locations and Permits, and lock in Equipment. The Key Teams will hold 5 Production Meetings, with their Mentors in attendance, throughout late August, September & early October. We anticipate Project 1 shooting around October 13 & Project 2 shooting around October 27. The Teams would then move into Post Production through late October, November, and early December with the support of their Mentors and the pro bono services of our Post Production house partners.
What type of financial support will be given/what is the budget?
The budget would be between $10,000 and $25,000 (depending on the budget), some of which would be in-kind.
What type of Production Support
For Production support, we bring in a Mentoring team to support the Key Team through the process of putting the film together from Pre-Production through Post. We also bring in industry professionals and emerging WIF members to fill in as Department Heads and Crew Members for the shoots. We have sponsorships for much of the equipment (both production & post houses) through industry partners, but the Producer would be responsible for booking all equipment 7 sourcing additional needs within the budget.
Can I submit a short Doc
What if my writer is a male?
As our mission is to advocate for and advance the careers of women working in the screen industries, the Women In Film Production Program is only open to female Key Team Members (Writer, Director, Producer, Line Producer).
Do all Key Team Member have to be CAREER level or above?
Yes, once accepted into the program. To apply, only one of these Members must be a WIF Career Member or above.
What time do submissions close?
Submissions will close at 11:59pm PST on the posted final day.
Can I apply with more than one project?
Absolutely! Please note that you will need to do a separate application (completed in full) for each project.
If Submitting a Proof of Concept, do I upload the full script or the proof of concept script?
As you would be entering the program with the proof of concept, we would need that script uploaded. But please do discuss the full feature and your plan for the proof of concept in your Artist Statement.
For additional questions not covered on this page, please contact Program Coordinator Melissa Verdugo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“LA River PSA” Behind the Scenes
“Helping Hands” ALS Association PSA
LA Regional Foodbank PSA
LA River PSA: Bird Photobombs a Selfie
PSA Awards List
- 2016 Telly Silver Award for LA River PSA
- 2015 Telly Bronze Award for Desert Friends of the Developmentally Disabled
- 2015 Telly Bronze Award for South Asian Helpline And Referral Agency
- 2015 Aurora Gold Award for South Asian Helpline And Referral Agency (Directing)
- 2015 Telly Bronze Award for Camp Kesem
- 2014 Aurora Platinum Best In Show for Camp Kesem
- 2013 Aurora Gold Award for Down Syndrome Research and Treatment Center
- 2013 Telly Silver Award for Shadows Hills Riding Club
- 2013 Telly Bronze Award for Southern California Foster Family and Adoption Agency
- 2013 Telly Bronze Award for Caregivers of Ventura County
- 2013 Telly Bronze for LA Conservation Corps
- 2013 Telly Bronze for Down Syndrome Research and Treatment Center
- 2013 Telly Bronze Award for Whittier Rio Hondo AIDS Project
- 2012 Aurora Platinum Best of Show Award for Common Ground: The Westside HIV Community Center
- 2012 Telly Silver Award for House of Ruth
- 2011 Aurora Platinum Best in Show Award for Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Los Angeles
- 2011 Aurora Gold Award for Operation Gratitude
- 2011 Telly Silver Award for Epilepsy Foundation of Greater Los Angeles
- 2011 Telly Silver Award for Daniel’s Place
- 2011 Telly Bronze Award for Operation Gratitude
- 2010 Aurora Platinum Best of Show Award for k9 Connection
- 2010 Telly Bronze Award for My Friend’s Place
- 2010 Telly Bronze Award for k9 Connection
- 2010 Telly Bronze Award for City Ballet of Los Angeles
- 2010 Telly Silver Award for Children’s Bureau
- 2010 Telly Silver Award for Los Angeles Youth Network
- 2009 Telly Bronze Award for Gang Alternatives Program
- 2009 Telly Bronze Award for Dream Foundation
- 2009 Telly Bronze Award for Claire Altman Heine Foundation
- 2009 Aurora Gold Award for My Friend’s Place
- 2009 Aurora Gold Award for City Ballet of Los Angeles
- 2008 Telly Bronze Award for Outward Bound Adventures
- 2008 Aurora Platinum Best of Show Award for gangfree.org
- 2008 ADDY Bronze Award for Gang Alternatives Program
- 2007 Telly Bronze Awards for International Myeloma Foundation
- 2007 Telly Bronze Award for California Black Women’s Health Project
- 2007 Aurora Gold Award for California Black Women’s Health Project
- 2007 Aurora Platinum Best of Show Award for A Window Between Worlds
- 2007 Aurora Platinum Best of Show Award for International Myeloma Foundation
- 2006 MarCom Creative Awards Gold Winner for California Black Women’s Health Project
- 2005 International Davey Award for National Organization on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- 2005 Aurora Gold Award for The Library Cooperative
- 2005 Aurora Gold Award for School On Wheels
- 2005 Aurora Gold Award for National Organization for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- 2004 WorldFest Houston Film Festival Platinum for Penny Lane
- 2003 Kalamazoo Animation Festival International Gold Award for Free Arts for Abused Children
- 2003 Telly Awards for Free Arts for Abused Children
- 2003 Aurora Gold Award for Free Arts for Abused Children
- 2003 Aurora Platinum Best of Show Award for Free Arts for Abused Children
- 2002 Aurora Gold Award for Get Tech Kids for US Department of Commerce
- 2002 Telly Awards for Get Tech Kids for US Department of Commerce
- 2002 Aurora Gold Award for Get Tech Kids for US Department of Commerce
- 2000 Santa Clarita International Film Festival Winner for Best Short Film- The HeArt Project
- 2000 International Film and Video Festival Certificate for Creative Executives- HeArt Project
- 1999 Silver Award for the Flagstaff International Film Festival – The HeArt Project
- 1998 LULU Awards from the Los Angeles Advertising
- 1997 LULU Awards from the Los Angeles Advertising