APPLICATIONS FOR THE FALL 2019
MENTORING PROGRAM ARE NOW OPEN
The Women In Film Mentoring Program nurtures emerging talent in the entertainment industry by connecting accepted Mentees with established professionals and peers who can offer advice and guidance. Mentees get the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of the entertainment industry’s business practices and culture, focus their efforts, and hone skills. The goal of the WIF Mentoring Circles is to establish a safe and open environment to discuss issues relating to career objectives. Mentors, Peer Mentors, and Mentees are expected to maintain mutual respect, honesty, and confidentiality at all times.
We feel strongly that mentoring is a crucial part of our mission, and that it is incumbent upon us to ensure that new generations of women in the film, television, and new media businesses are able to take advantage of the experiences of those who have gone before them.
- Mentoring Circles: Mentees will be assigned to groups of eight within their field, led by two Mentors, each with significant experience in that field. Mentees and Mentors will have six group meetings within a twelve-month period. Dates and locations will be determined solely by Mentors. It is the responsibility of the Mentee to be available to attend meetings. This arm of the Program is geared towards those members who have made great strides in their career and need guidance reaching the next step.
- Peer Mentoring: Mentees will be assigned to groups of eight across multiple disciplines, led by a Peer Mentor who has gone through the Program. Mentees and their Peer Mentor will have six group meetings within a twelve-month period. Dates and locations will be determined by the Peer Mentor with input from the Mentees. This arm of the Program is geared towards those members who are no longer entry-level, but could benefit from the collective experience and knowledge of those surrounding them.
*Although there will be deadlines to apply to the circles, we may hold back accepted Mentees to begin later in the year to ensure their circle is as robust and cultivated to their needs as possible.
- In order to be eligible for the Mentoring Circles program, you must be an active member at the Associate Level or above. You can learn more about joining here.
- You must be local to Los Angeles in order to participate.
A highlight of the mentoring year is the annual Speed Mentoring event. Twelve hand-selected Mentees are invited to meet with some of the most successful Individuals in the business for ten minutes each, to ask specific questions and take advice as they move from one Mentor to another. This is only available to participants of the Mentoring Program and is by invitation only.
• Applications close: August 19 (at 11:59pm)
• Applicants notified: September 13 (by 9:00pm)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The Mentoring Program is one of our most popular programs, which means it is also highly competitive. We accept roughly 80 Members in the Spring and another 80 in the Fall to the Discipline-specific Mentoring Circles, and have expanded to include additional Members through the Peer Mentoring portion of the Program, but are not able to include all who apply.
The Women In Film Mentoring Program uses the circle mentoring method where eight Mentees form a cohort, then are mentored together by a team of two Mentors or a Peer Mentor. No Mentees in the Program currently receive their own personal Mentor.
For the Spring 2019 cycle we hope to have all of the Mentors assigned to their circles by Friday, March 22, 2019.
Due to the way our submission system works, you would need to submit separate applications (you can use all of the same documents) to apply for multiple circles. We do encourage applicants to explain why they are applying for more than one circle in their Statement of Interest.
This is your opportunity to tell us the things that we can’t learn from your résumé. Who you are, what your journey has been, what your goals are, what type of help you need, and what type of Mentors would be great for you. The format, length, and exact information included varies from person to person, but should definitely tell us everything you feel we need to know to select you for the Program. A good thing to keep in mind is that this is a highly competitive application pool, and you should write your statement accordingly.
As with the Statement of Interest, what is included will vary based on the applicant and the person who is writing the letter. We do not have a specific format or restriction on who it should come from, other than that it should be an industry professional who has experience with the applicant and knows her work.
This is a term for an individual who identifies as a combination of Writer, Director, and/or Producer.
Six times in twelve months.
Each Discipline-specific Circle will have two complementary Mentors (e.g. one Creative Mentor and one Business-side Mentor) who are high-level industry professionals that can speak to the Mentees’ discipline. Each Peer Mentoring Circle will have one Peer Mentor who has gone through the Program previously.
Due to the changes we’ve made to the Program, we are resetting everyone’s eligibility—so, yes! Everyone can apply again as long as she is an Associate level Member or above. Starting in Spring of 2019, only those who have not participated in the Program for at least a calendar year will be eligible.
Unfortunately, due to the restrictions placed on our Mentors by the companies they currently work for, reviewing your projects for referrals, notes, placement, etc. is not something we are able to offer in this Program.