Dear WIF Community,
How are you doing? This has been a stressful and unsettling time for many, and we would like to assure you that the health and wellbeing of our members, staff, and supporters are our top priority. The situation we are all facing together, the threat of COVID-19, is changing rapidly, and we are adapting our response as it progresses.
The WIF Help Line remains fully operational. Trauma-informed responders are available to callers who have experienced sexual harassment or misconduct while working in the entertainment industry. We are in communication with our legal and community partners, and there will be updates provided if there are any changes to how these services operate. Call (855) WIF-LINE between 7am–8pm M/W/F or 10am–5pm PT Tu/Th.
- Applications for the WIF x The Black List Episodic Writing Lab remain open through May 22. The Lab does not begin until October; we encourage aspiring television writers to apply for this career-launching opportunity.
- Mentorship remains a keystone of our work. Currently ongoing mentoring circles will be moving online until further notice, and participants will be contacted about details. Applications for the 2020 Mentoring Program will open May 31.
- The Screening and Speaker Series have been redesigned into online gatherings like Laptop Cinema Club, Q&A, and Conversations & Connections. We are continuing to brainstorm creative ways to nurture a robust, supportive community as we transition to online gatherings and programming. Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Twitter for up-to-date event information!
We encourage everyone to remain positive while taking care of community members through social distancing. This situation affects all of us. Please use our Facebook and LinkedIn groups to connect with fellow WIF members—support each other through impacted work, continue to collaborate online, and offer mutual understanding.
We look forward to hearing from you and working together as a creative community to do what only art can do—bring joy, spark compassion, and deepen awareness.
Executive Director, Women In Film
We are gathering emergency relief resources for women in the screen industries whose livelihoods have been impacted by the pandemic. Do you know of any that aren’t listed below? Take our survey (above) to let us know!
- Motion Picture & Television Fund
- Film Independent Support Fund
- Artist Relief
- The Actors Fund Emergency Assistance
- The Actors Fund Employer/Union Partner Programs
- PEN America Writer’s Emergency Fund
- Department of Cultural Affairs Arts Emergency Relief Fund
- Field of Vision and Topic Studios Documentary Freelancer Relief Fund
- American Guild of Musical Artists’ Relief Fund
- Emergency Arts Fund
- I.A.T.S.E. Local No. One COVID-19 Hardship Distribution
- IATSE National Benefit Funds
- L.A. Freelancers Relief Fund
- Freelancers Union Relief Fund
- SAG-AFTRA Disaster Fund
- Bernie Myerson Emergency Grants
- Queer Writers of Color Relief Fund
- U.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Loan Assistance
- Corona Virus 2020 Artists Relief Funds
- COVID-19 Artist Resources
- Writers Guild of America West COVID-19 Resources
- The Actors Fund Entertainment Assistance Program
- Helping Entertainment Labor and Professionals (HELP)
- Teamsters Local 399 Resources for Members
- COVID-19 Resources and Information for Contractors and Businesses
- California Benefits for Workers Impacted by COVID-19
- California Employment Development Department – Unemployment Insurance
- California Guide to Filing for Unemployment
- City of Los Angeles Small Business Emergency Microloan Program
- U.S. Small Business Administration – Disaster Loan Assistance
- American Federation of Musicians’ petition to protect entertainment workers
- Artist + Activist Relief Fund
- The Arts and Culture Leaders of Color Emergency Fund
- California Arts Council Field Survey
- Economic Loss Survey for Artists, Culture Workers, Freelancers, Gig/Event Economy workers
- IATSE CARES
- IATSE petition to include displaced entertainment workers in relief package
- Jewish Free Loan Association loans for L.A. or Ventura County residents
- Los Angeles Nightlife Alliance Survey
- National Association of Latino Arts and Cultures Field Survey for independent cultural workers and nonprofit arts workers
- Queer Writers of Color Relief Fund
- Red Backpack Fund, financial relief for female-owned businesses
- TIME’S UP petition for paid sick leave for all workers
- Women and Hollywood is promoting fundraising campaigns for festival screenings that were canceled due to Coronavirus—APPLY
- National Alliance on Mental Illness COVID-19 Resources (PDF)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: “Staying Safe During COVID-19“
- Shine: Care for Your Coronavirus Anxiety
- The Wellness Society’s Coronavirus Anxiety Workbook
We’ll also be updating this page with resources for media consumption and building digital community during this time.